2013/03/27

My Van, My Tardis, My Home

Trevor Brown writes about My Van, My Tardis, My Home (pp.18-19) in The Big Issue #428 (22-28 March 2103).

In this article, Brown laments the detrimental effects of the Occupy Movement on the homeless:

Ripples that spread out from various ‘Occupy’ movements over the past couple of years increased pressure on many of us on the streets. We came under increased attention from law-enforcement personnel who seemed intent on making sure we weren't an advanced guard for groups hoping to take up residence in the middle of cities. The homeless were found ‘guilty by association’; we were caught in the open ground between authorities and Occupiers. The pressure increased: I came under verbal attack by members of the public for the first time. Sadly, activities by the group only disenfranchised the very people they were trying to promote as worthy of help and support.

Emphasis Mine

The backlash against the Occupy Movement has rebounded on the homeless. It has drawn them into a political battle they do not want to be part of. They just want to be able to rejoin society.

No comments: