2005/03/26

Reflections on Good Friday

Being Easter Saturday, I decided to pen some thoughts about Good Friday.

Why Did Jesus Die For Our Sin?

This is the question that troubles comrades in my party branch, about Christianity. What kind of God would demand a human sacrifice before he would forgive the sins of people?

Indeed many Christians would present Jesus' death this way. The Cross is said to be the culmination of the Temple sacrifices. The text most quoted in this regard is Ephesians 2:14-16

  • For he is our peace, he who made both one and broke down the dividing wall of enmity, through his flesh,
  • abolishing the law with its commandments and legal claims, that he might create in himself one new person in place of the two, thus establishing peace,
  • and might reconcile both with God, in one body, through the cross, putting that enmity to death by it.
  • As I watch the Americans thirst for blood and vengeance after 11 September 2001, I now realise that St Paul is referring to our legal claims to retaliation and compensation. This is the 'dividing wall of enmity'. Sinning against my neighbour puts this wall up between us.

    Jesus died so that I can forgive my neighbour and accept them back into the community for Jesus has paid the sin debt that my neighbour owed me, and vice verse.

    Being incapable of forgiveness and mercy is then the unforgivable sin for Jesus' sacrifice is spat on. Mercy is not an optional extra of the Christian faith but a fundamental part of it.

    State Terrorism

    During his trial, Jesus was taunted for his powerlessness. (John 19:10-11)

  • So Pilate said to him, "Do you not speak to me? Do you not know that I have power to release you and I have power to crucify you?"
  • Jesus answered (him), "You would have no power over me if it had not been given to you from above. For this reason the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin."
  • Jesus was ridiculed, scourged, paraded, and crucified. We, who claim to follow him, can expect no less.

    A week earlier, the Jesus movement had staged a huge demonstration on Palm Sunday. Now, even his closest friends have deserted him and Peter denies knowing him thrice. So, how can be disappointed with the small crowds on 20 March 2005 when compared to 18 February 2003?

    No comments: