2015/04/11

Israeli Forces Target Journalists in West Bank

Mel Frykberg writes that Israeli Forces Target Journalists in West Bank.

On another occasion, I was accompanying a Palestinian ambulance which was trying to reach Jelazon camp to help Palestinian youths injured during clashes with the IDF.

Several military jeeps blocked the roads leading to the camp and refused to move when asked by the ambulance driver.

After I got out and spoke to the soldiers, showing them my credentials yet again, the jeep moved to the side and allowed the ambulance to continue.

The Israelis still appear to be sensitive to a certain degree to how they are portrayed in the Western media.

This has become apparent to me when covering violent clashes. As soon as it has been established that I am Australian, white and a woman, the aggression of the Israeli soldiers has abated and they have tried to get me on side by asking me if I am alright and warning me to take care,

However, I know that I too could easily fall prey to Israeli ammunition if I am not exceedingly careful so, on this basis, I choose to stay well away from the frontlines of clashes.

Emphasis Mine

Here is someone using their white privilege to benefit the oppressed, but they are acutely of the limits of that privilege as Rachel Corrie found to her cost.

Given the sensitivity of the Israeli government to pressure from Westerners, we should be our relative privilege to relieve the sufferings of the Palestinians through supporting the BDS campaign.

No comments: