2008/01/01

Masters Mastered

I have finally satisfied the requirements for attainment of my Master's degree. Four (4) years of being bored out of my brain by lecturers who get paid piece rate for every student they keep until the census date. University is just a factory for producing bits of paper with fancy writing on it.

There were lecturers who still cared about the students enough to push them to be their best. These were members of the NTEU. I suppose if you cared enough to join a union, you cared enough about the quality of your work, and work to inspire others to care.

At the university I went to, there was one class that when I turned up, one of the students asked me if I was the lecturer because I was the only white person there. The rest of the class were either Chinese or Indians. And white Australians wonder why IT jobs are going overseas: because that is where the qualified people are!

And do I regret doing the degree? Yes and No. Yes because it tended to be a TAFE course geared to practical experience of computing. No because there were the hold-outs for a true university education.

No comments: